Ryedale District Council

Housing benefit new claim

Housing Benefit is a benefit paid to householders to help with the payment of their rent and is sometimes referred to as "rent allowance".  Claims require evidence of tenancy and income in order to assess eligibility for benefit.

Who can claim?

You can claim Housing Benefit if you pay rent on a home you occupy and you receive:new persimmons

  • Income Support;
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance;
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Guarantee Pension Credit;
  • or you are on a low income.

How can I claim?

You can log onto our benefits calculator to find out if you might qualify before completing an application form, which you can do via our online application form.

You will need to complete all the relevant questions, sign and date the declaration and provide all the original documentary information requested on the form in support of your application. If you cannot provide all the evidence with the application form, send the form back straightaway so you will not lose out on your date of claim and make sure you provide any other evidence within four weeks.

For full details on claiming Housing Benefit and up to date information on how other DWP benefits may affect your benefit claim log on to GOV.UK.

For further information on rents go to our Local Housing Allowance page or visit The Valuation Office Agency website which holds information on Local Housing Allowance, and fair rents.

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.

Website status

We will report here on any changes to web services.

25 May 2017: We are currently unable to process credit and debit card payments online and over the phone due to an issue with our payment system. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

» Website feedback

You are here: Home Residents Benefits Housing benefit - new claim