Connect with the Council
An overview of fitness and
Health in Ryedale is seen as not being an issue solely
concerned with the treatment of those who are ill. It is also
recognised that the prevention of illness through fitness is also
important rather than simply its treatment .
Physical fitness comprises two related
- general fitness (a state of health and well-being);
- and specific fitness (a task-oriented definition based on the
ability to perform specific aspects of sports or occupations).
Physical fitness is generally achieved through correct
nutrition, exercise, and enough rest.
Importance of exercise - what are the physical and
- Finding the right exercise - whoever you are, whatever your
age, there's an activity for you.
- Fitness for children and young people - why getting fit boosts
your health, appearance and mood.
- How much exercise? - find out how active you need to be to stay
- Sports injuries - common causes of fitness injury and the
experts who can help.
- Finding time to exercise - squeezing exercise into a hectic