Ryedale District Council

Ryedale District Council - garden waste subscription

  • Bulky household waste collections

    Information on how to re-use, recycle or dispose of large household items such as furniture or white goods.

    If you have bulky furniture items that you think are in good condition and which may be useful to someone else, there are community organisations which may, depending on where you live, come and collect from your house.

     Community Organisation contacts are:

    York Community Furniture Store

    Basics Plus

    St Catherine's Hospice - Malton Furniture Store

    • Will collect and deliver
    • Telephone: (01653) 229071

    British Heart Foundation

    Offer a free collection for furniture and electrical items using our online booking form. We'll give you a call within 72 hours to confirm your booking.

    Why not try giving your items away through Freecycle or Freegle.

    [Back to top]

    Bulky Household Waste Collection

    We will collect up to two items of bulky household waste for a minimum charge of £27.00 inc. VAT (1 April 2017). Examples include:

    • Freestanding furniture such as chairs, wardrobes, three-piece suites and beds
    • White goods such as washers, fridges, freezers
    • Carpets
    • Garden equipment e.g. benches, washing lines, lawnmowers but not petrol lawnmowers

    This service does not cover anything that may be classed as a fixture or fitting such as kitchen units, bathroom suites, radiators, windows, doors, garden waste, rubble and large or heavy items. If you have a heavy or large load to remove, please contact us as below.

    To arrange for a collection, please email Customer Support, telephone Customer Support on 01653 600666 or use the online form and we will arrange a collection day. You can pay over the telephone using your credit (surcharge applies) or debit card.

    If you have difficulty moving bulky items, let us know but please be aware this is not a removal service and, as far as is practicable, all items should be outside your property.

    Alternatively, you may take any item of household waste to your nearest North Yorkshire County Council Household Waste Site.


  • Clinical household waste

    How to dispose of medical/clinical waste.

    I need to dispose of incontinence pads - what do I do?.

    How do I get rid of dressings and other waste caused by my medical treatment / condition?.

    Incontinence pads may be disposed of in your normal green wheeled bin. If this causes a problem of capacity due to the alternate week collection arrangements, please either complete a short online application form, email Streetscene or telephone on 01653 600666 as you may be entitled to an additional bin.

    Streetscene employs a contractor, currently PHS Allclear, to collect and dispose of clinical waste bags. They will collect on either a weekly or fortnightly basis depending on need. Arrangements for this service are usually made by the local hospital or specialist nurse who will contact Streetscene with details of the customer and their requirements. If you have any queries or concerns please email Streetscene or telephone 01653 600666.

    If prescribed by your GP, Sharps containers should be returned to the prescribing doctor's practice for disposal.


  • Composters

    Composting hints and tips.

    Can I buy a composter?.

    Do you have any composting hints and tips?.

    Home composting is an easy way to reduce your household waste and produce compost for free. Composting can be done in either a container or a traditional heap.

    Low cost compost containers now available to residents.

    Low cost containers are now available in two sizes for residents.

    • 220 litre compost bin - £12
    • 330 litre compost bin - £14

    'Buy one, get one half price' when you buy two of the same. Delivery per order only £5.99. For more information and to purchase a container please visit Get Composting.

    Both the 220 litre and 330 litre containers are called Compost Converters. They are made from 100% recycled plastic with windproof, secure, push-fit lid and removable side hatch and are guaranteed for 15 years.

    Other products such as caddies, wormeries and kitchen composters can also be purchased.

    [Back to top]

    Composting advice

    For information about how to make compost and how to use it in your garden visit the York and North Yorkshire Waste Partnership web site for lots of great ideas and advice.

    Need some help with composting?

    Our team of master composters, called the Rotters, can help if you want to know more about composting or are experiencing problems with your compost.

    The Rotters are fully trained volunteers who offer advice on composting and reducing your food and garden waste. For advice or to become a volunteer, visit the Rotters web page, telephone 01609 532045 or email the Rotters.

    Reduce your food waste even further

    Compost bins only take fruit and vegetable peelings from your kitchen. However there are specialised containers to deal with cooked food waste which, when combined with home composting, could eliminate food waste from your rubbish altogether. To find out more visit the Lets' Talk Less Rubbish website.


  • Food waste recycling

    The Council does not collect food waste separately from the kerbside of its domestic properties.

    Any leftover meat, fish, bread, dairy products or cooked food should be put in the refuse wheelie bin for disposal. However, residents are encouraged to home compost other food waste from the kitchen such as:

    • Teabags and coffee grounds (including filter paper)
    • Eggshells
    • All fruit and vegetable peelings
    • Salad leaves
    • Inedible/over ripe fruit and vegetables
    • Cut flowers, house plants

    To buy a low-cost composter container visit Let's Talk Less Rubbish.


  • Hazardous waste collection

     The Hazardous Waste Regulations came into force in 2005 and significantly changed the way that businesses may dispose of hazardous wastes. These new regulations replaced the Special Waste Regulations and wastes are now classified by their chemical make up, risk category and hazard, rather than the former, all-encompassing term of 'special'.

    Hazardous wastes include:

    • Oil Filters
    • Antifreeze
    • Brake Fluid
    • Lubricating Oil
    • Mixed Fuels
    • Lead Acid Batteries
    • Parts Washing Fluids
    • Contaminated Rags and Granules
    • Fluorescent Tubes
    • Printing Wastes
    • Paint
    • Spent Oils
    • Solvent Wastes, including contaminated packaging and containers
    • Certain Electrical Goods, including Fridges and Freezers from commercial premises
    • Cathode Ray Tube Screens (TVs & computer monitors)
    • Other waste materials that were previously consigned as 'Special Waste'

    Previously, many of the above were disposed of together with general commercial waste. Such co-disposal operations are now not acceptable.

    All businesses must demonstrate that hazardous wastes are being disposed of correctly by ensuring that measures are in place to properly segregate, handle and store such wastes. It is illegal to mix different types of hazardous waste materials or mix /disperse them with non-hazardous (general) waste that goes to landfill.

    The Duty of Care (ie correct handling procedure for waste) is being placed more heavily on businesses, as waste producers. The Environment Agency has stated that the consequences for businesses not complying with the new Hazardous Waste Regulations are likely to be significant fines and damage to a company's reputation.

    If your business produces hazardous waste (such as the materials listed above) you will need to register each of your business's operational premises with the Environment Agency. After completing correct documentation, and submitting a fee, you will be provided with a unique 'Premises Code' for each site. You must use this number whenever you want hazardous waste removed from your premises.

    You may "Register as a hazwaste producer" electronically by visiting the Environment Agency website .

    Alternatively, you can contact the Environment Agency by telephone on 08708 502858 and ask to make a hazardous waste registration.

    The Council cannot collect hazardous waste separately, or co-mingled with general commercial waste. Unless you are registered you will be unable to have hazardous wastes collected from your sites. Companies offering collections of hazardous waste can be found under the Waste Disposal Services section in your local Yellow Pages. Locally, both Yorwaste tel. (01609) 774400 and Todds Waste Management tel. (01944) 758432 offer this service. RB Markets in Scarborough tel. (01723 584041) offer a service to collect hazardous, as well as non-hazardous electrical items.

    You must ensure that the company you choose to remove your hazardous waste is properly licensed (with the Environment Agency). It is an offence to pass waste on to a company not fully approved by the Environment Agency.

    If you think you have hazardous waste, but are not sure, contact the Environment Agency for advice tel: 08708 506506.


  • Household garden waste

    Quick tips and links to help you get the most out of home composting.

    If you are not going to subscribe to the garden waste service, the brown bins remain the property of the Council and at some point in the future will be collected from your property with prior notice. However, if your brown bin is causing an obstruction and you would like it removed, please complete the online form to arrange for it to be collected.

    Brown Wheelie Bin

    Please note the garden waste service is not affected by bank holidays your collection day will stay the same.

    Brown bin resizedYou can put garden waste material in your brown bin for recycling. This can include grass cuttings, windfalls, flowers and plants,hedge clippings, leaves and bark, weeds, turf, hay, straw (but nothing that may be contaminated with dog or cat waste), small branches and prunings.

    All the garden waste etc. collected from your home, goes to local farmers to be composted, so it's important that there is no plastic or any other contamination in the bin.

    If we miss collection of recyclable or non-recyclable waste and it's our fault, a crew will return within five working days (usually much sooner) to rectify the situation. Report a missed waste collection via our online form.

    Large Quantities

    If you have large quantities of garden waste to dispose of there are a number of options available.

    • Garden waste can gradually be disposed of using the brown wheeled bin over a number of weeks.

    The waste may be taken to any Household Waste and Recycling Site, where separate recycling facilities are available for garden waste. See our Household Waste Disposal Sites page for more information.

    [Back to top]

    Home Composting

    Emptying compostHome composting is the best method to dispose of garden waste. See our Composters page for useful hints and tips for successful composting.

    The Recycle Nowwebsite has loads of information on successful home composting including how to set up your composter, make your compost and how to use your compost (telephone 0845 600 0323).

    Most garden and raw vegetable waste can be composted, including your vegetable peelings, tea bags, coffee grounds and grass cuttings. More advice is available on the Recycle Now website.

    [Back to top]

    No Winter collections of garden waste - frequently asked questions

    Why are you suspending garden waste collections in winter? .

    For which months are garden waste collections suspended?.

    Why are collections suspended for three months? .

    What are the benefits of suspending the service during winter months? .

    How do I find out when my garden waste collections start and finish? .

    I still produce garden waste over winter, what should I do with it? .

    Will taking waste to a Household Waste Recycling Centre increase carbon emissions? .

    How do I dispose of my old Christmas tree?.

    Why are you suspending garden waste collections in winter?

    The continued and unprecedented scale of cuts in government funding means that increasingly difficult decisions now have to be taken by the Council regarding delivery of services to achieve financial savings to balance the budget.

    Stopping the garden waste collection service in winter is one of the Council's efficiency measures as part of its corporate efficiency programme, as the amounts of garden waste presented for collection significantly reduce at this time of year. One collection cycle of garden waste costs approximately £4,000 in fuel and it is not cost effective to operate the vehicle fleet when demand for the service falls.

    It is essential for all council tax payers that the Council utilises its resources efficiently and effectively to safeguard as many other services as possible, which are important to the community we serve.

    [Back to FAQ]

    For which months are garden waste collections suspended?

    Garden waste collections will stop for 3 months in December, January and February.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Why are collections suspended for three months?

    While some people do produce garden waste in the winter, tonnages significantly decrease and very small amounts are collected across the District during these months.

    Almost 70% of garden waste tonnages are collected between April and September, with the remaining 30% between October and March. In December, January and February volumes reduce significantly and it is simply not cost effective to operate large waste collection vehicles across a district of 575 square miles, when demand for the service reduces to this extent.

    [Back to FAQ]

    What are the benefits of suspending the service during winter months?

    Reduction of carbon emissions through reduced use of large vehicles will be realised. Garden waste collection vehicles only do around 4 miles to a gallon of diesel. Using a web based mapping system the Council has been able to accurately monitor fuel use of all of its vehicles on each collection round, to give a cost benefit analysis for all months of the year. Garden waste collections in winter months showed the least benefit to Council Tax payers.

    During very cold winter periods, garden waste freezes in bins due to its high moisture content. When shaken against the vehicle to try to free the material, a significant number of containers split as they are very brittle. These containers are obviously expensive to replace.

    [Back to FAQ]

    I still produce garden waste over winter, what should I do with it?

    You could try home composting. Containers can be purchased at a reduced price through the Council's dedicated waste management website, Let's Talk Less Rubbish, then enter your postcode to see latest offers.

    Residents will still have the option to use their brown wheeled bin, as typically, smaller volumes of garden waste will compost down over winter and this will be collected again when collections begin again in March.

    If you already compost at home, but still generate more garden waste than you can manage, please take it to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre. Further details can be found on North Yorkshire County Council's website.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Will taking waste to a Household Waste Recycling Centre increase carbon emissions?

    Ideally residents should home compost where possible, or try to incorporate a visit to the HWRC in with regular routines, rather than a separate trip. Average fuel consumption for a car is around 35 mpg compared to garden waste collection vehicles, which only do about 4 mpg.

    [Back to FAQ]

    How do I dispose of my old Christmas tree?

    Old Christmas trees can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre for recycling. If you only have small amounts of garden waste during winter months, Christmas trees can be chopped up and left in the garden waste bin until collections start again in March.

    Alternatively, why not buy a Christmas tree with roots attached, which could be planted in the garden, or perhaps think about an artificial tree that could be re-used each year.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Garden waste collections – your questions answered

    These can be downloaded as a pdf at the bottom of this page.

    Why is the Council introducing a chargeable service?

    Garden waste collections have been costing the Council over £285,000 per year. To protect this service and ensure its continued provision, the Council has agreed to introduce a subscription (opt-in) service to offset part of the cost of providing it.

    By introducing a charge for this discretionary service it means that the Council will be better placed to maintain delivery of both its essential, as well as other valued services.

    All local authorities are now facing significant financial pressures when it comes to finding ways of maintaining delivery of front line services. This is due to increased year on year funding cuts by the Government. Nationwide austerity measures affecting all public finances seem set to continue for the foreseeable future.

    Are there any exemptions or concessions?

    There are no exemptions or concessions, regardless of those in receipt of benefits or for senior citizens.

    What happens if the bin is at a village hall, place of religious worship or other charity?

    The service will be chargeable for all these types of organisations, as with domestic properties.

    Why are charges not included in Council Tax?

    Collecting garden waste is not a service that local authorities are under a duty to provide. As with other discretionary services provided by the Council, a separate charge is made if residents choose to opt in.

    Do other local authorities charge for garden waste collections?

    Yes, over recent years an increasing number of Councils have introduced a fee, with over a third now charging for this service. In North Yorkshire, Craven and Richmondshire currently charge.

    How do I subscribe to the garden waste collection service?

    It's quick and easy online or call our 24 hour Freephone on 0800 035 1566. Alternatively, see the leaflet - 'Your garden frequently asked questions' below.

    Can I have more than one bin?

    Yes, you can subscribe to more than one bin. However, you will need to buy a separate licence for each bin.

    How will the collection crew know to empty my bin?

    Once your payment has been received you will receive a plastic licence (this will be a tag about the size of a credit card) through the post which will need to be affixed to your wheeled bin. This will be used to confirm that the bin is registered to your address. Bins without licences will not be emptied. You will need a licence for each wheeled bin you present for emptying.

    Will my collection day change?

    Some collection days may change. You will be notified in advance.

    How long will it take to get my licence?

    You will receive your licence within 14 days of making your payment.

    What if my licence is lost, stolen or damaged?

    Contact the Council as soon as possible for a replacement.

    Can I join the scheme midway through the year?

    To guarantee your garden waste collections you must subscribe by 31 May 2016. Collections cannot be guaranteed for subscriptions received after this time. Unfortunately the charge is a fixed annual cost and reductions cannot be made for fewer collections.

    I share my brown bin with my neighbour, can we share the service charge?

    Yes, though full payment is still required and the bin will need to be registered and collected at one address.

    What do I do if I use compostable bags instead of a brown bin?

    If you are registered as being eligible for an assisted collection (or if your property is not suitable to accommodate a wheeled bin) you will be issued with a year's supply of compostable liners instead of a licence when you subscribe. These can be put out on collection day (or collected from an agreed point, for those on assisted collections)

    What happens if I move house?

    It is intended that the licence is non-transferable and only valid for the property for which it was originally purchased. The preferred, cost effective option, is for residents who are moving to leave the licence for the new occupants. If this does not meet your individual circumstances please contact us and arrangements (currently being trialled) will be made to cancel your current licence and issue a new licence. Unfortunately no refunds can be given.

    What will happen to my brown bin if I choose not to subscribe to the scheme?

    Your wheeled bin remains the property of Ryedale District Council. If you are not going to sub scribe it is recommended that you retain your brown bin in case you change your mind in the future. However, if you would like your brown bin removing please contact the Council and arrange for its collection. Garden waste must not be put in your bin for general (non-recyclable) waste.

    Will there be an increase in fly-tipping due to charging for this service?

    There are a significant number of local authorities that already charge for garden waste but so far there is no evidence of increased incidences of fly-tipped material as a result.

    What are my other options if I don't want to subscribe?

    Low cost compost bins can be purchased online at Let's Talk Less Rubbish or phone 0844 571 4444. Additionally, the Council holds occasional one-day sales of subsidised compost bins. Look out for details on the Council's website and in the local press. If you already compost at home, but still generate more garden waste than you can manage, material can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre (skip site).

    Has the Council consulted on charging for garden waste?

    A consultation exercise carried out as part of setting the 2013-15 Budget showed that the majority were not in favour of being charged for this service. However, charging for garden waste was the "least worst option", enabling the Council to continue to provide other valued community services

    For more information on recycling, or to request a brown bin or bio bags, please email Streetscene or telephone 01653 600666.


  • Household waste assisted collection

    If you have difficulty putting your containers out for collection due to infirmity or disability, we will provide an assisted back door collection for refuse and recycling.

    Black bagI'm struggling to put my bins and boxes out for collection - what can I do?

    We will supply you with 52 black liners for non-recyclable waste. You may keep the green wheeled bin to store black bags of non-recyclablewaste if required. You can continue to use the green box and blue bag for recycling as usual.

    To subscribe to the garden waste collection scheme and receive a supply of biodegradable liners, subscribe here.

    On collection day, a member of the team will collect your bags and boxes from wherever they are stored, so you don't have to pull or carry potentially heavy containers out to the kerbside.

    You will need to complete a short application form and return it to us, so we can maintain records of who needs an annual delivery of liners. A member of staff will then assess each case on an individual basis and we will agree with you the best form of assistance.

    Please email Streetscene or telephone 01653 600666 if you have any questions, or need more information.


  • Household waste collections

    Information on our refuse and recycling service, including details of containers, our waste collection policy and useful links.

    Alternate Week Kerbside Waste Collection Service

    • Week 1: Collection of non-recyclable refuse
    • Week 2: Collection of recyclables

    Standard issue

     Standard containers are as follows.

    180 litre wheelie bin for non-recyclable refuse  (following enhancement of recycling services from 2011-2013, this replaces the previous 240 ltr container) Tiny black wheelie
    240 litre wheelie for garden waste. Subscribe to the garden waste collection service.

    Tiny brown bin

    55 litre green box for plastic bottles and cans. Cans - mixed cans (food, pet food and drinks) as well as empty aerosols are accepted for recycling. They should be rinsed out if possible. Plastic bottles - Any plastic bottle from the kitchen, utility or bathroom can be recycled. Any other mixed plastics eg. shopping bags, yogurt pots, food containers, clingfilm etc should not be included.

    Tiny green box

    40 litre black box for glass. All glass bottles and jars can be recycled. They should be rinsed out if possible. Broken glass, or items such as window glass, mirrors, Pyrex, Vision ware etc should not be included.

    Tiny black box

    55 litre re-usable blue bag for paper and cardboard. Newspapers, magazines, greetings cards, cardboard (corrugated boxes of food packaging), telephone books (including Yellow Pages) can be recycled. Envelopes, wrapping paper, wallpaper and plastic should not be included. 

    Tiny blue bag

    If you have a Blue Box you can continue to use this to recycle your paper and cardboard instead of the Blue Bag. However, please note that only one container will be collected, not both.

    Containers are Council property and must remain at the premises. Residents buying houses should ensure that that all containers are not removed.

    Alternative waste containers

    • For residents who only produce a small volume of waste, a 140 litre bin is available on request, for non-recyclable waste.
    • 30 litre (shopping type) plastic baskets are available for recycling materials, such as glass, cans, paper and plastic bottles These are particularly suited to residents with mobility problems, as they can be carried using one hand.
    • A small number of 40 litre blue boxes for paper and cardboard recycling are available, instead of the re-usable bag.
    • Lids or elasticated nets, to contain materials in kerbside boxes, are available on request.

    [ Back to top ]

    Non-recyclable waste

    Generally, all non-recyclable household waste from the property can be placed into the refuse wheelie bin.

    Recyclable Materials

    Garden (Organic)

    Garden waste logoWe always promote home composting as a first option. However, a chargeable kerbside recycling service is available for garden/botanical waste such as grass cuttings, hedge clippings, cut flowers, plants, shrubs etc. These are all acceptable materials for composting (in line with Government guidelines).

    Dry Recyclable Materials - Glass, Cans, Paper, Cardboard and Plastic Bottles

    It is essential to use the correct boxes and bag for your recyclable materials - see above. Unfortunately, we cannot collect your materials if they are mixed together.

    [Back to top]

    Where do we collect from?

    We provide a kerbside waste collection service. Please place all waste containers at the nearest point to the edge of the public highway but please make sure that they do not cause an obstruction.

    Only correctly presented containers will be collected. If there is a problem finding a suitable location for the container, contact us and an officer will arrange to visit the property to identify a suitable alternative collection point.

    Please return the waste containers to a position within the confines of your property on the same day following collection.

    When do we collect?

    All collections take place on the same day, each alternate week, between 6am and 5pm. However, in some cases residents may receive their garden waste collections on a different day to when their dry recyclables are collected. Garden waste collections are suspended during the winter months of December, January and February.

    We cannot guarantee collection time therefore residents are advised that their containers should be placed out for collection by 6 am.

    If we need to permanently change the collection day, we will notify you in writing, in advance.

    For details of your collection day and to find a calendar showing the collection pattern of your refuse and recycling, please visit our interactive map page for all the details.

    [Back to top]

    Missed collections

    If we miss collection of recyclable or non-recyclable waste and it's our fault, a crew will return within five working days (usually much sooner) to rectify the situation. Report a missed waste collection via our online form.

    If you don't put your containers out for collection of recyclable or non-recyclable waste at the advised time, no arrangements will be made to return to the property until the next due collection date for that material.

    What We Cannot Collect

    • Stones, rubble, soil, building materials, car parts, batteries, oil, solvent based paint, chemicals, tree branches, asbestos based materials, fluorescent tubes (including compact fluorescent lamps) TV's and anything too large to fit comfortably into the bin. These materials should be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Centre.
    • Fire ashes should be cold before putting them in the bin, to avoid fire risk
    • Recyclable materials should not be put in the non-recyclable wheeled bin

    [Back to top]

    Contaminated Waste

    Please ensure that the right materials are placed into the correct containers. When the collection teams find containers that are contaminated, they are instructed not to collect them and a label will be left informing you of the reason for non-collection.

    Heavy Containers or Wheelie Bins

    Containers or wheelie bins, which are excessively heavy, will not be emptied. Collection crews will place a leaflet or sticker on the bin to inform you of the problem.

    Excess or Side Waste

    We operate a strict no side waste policy and only waste contained in RDC's containers will be collected. Additional side waste will be placed in the emptied bin or returned within the boundary of the property following collection

    No excess waste will be removed from around the bin except when we change arrangements such as at Christmas or Bank Holidays. Additional side waste will be placed in the emptied bin, or returned to the property boundary following collection.

    Continual issues with side waste may require a visit by an officer to discuss reasons for the problem.

    Waste stacked above the top level of the wheelie bin, preventing the lid from closing, will be removed and put back in the emptied bin, or returned within the boundary of the property after collection. Overfilled bins pose a health and safety risk for collection operatives when they present bins to the lifting mechanism.

    Waste which cannot fit comfortably into a container can be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Centre.

    Food waste

    We do not currently offer a separate food waste recycling service but encourage resident to reduce food waste where possible.

    [Back to top]

    What happens when we have not been able to collect your waste?

    Please ensure you leave your waste out for collection.

    We will always leave you a label or card explaining why your waste has not been collected (except when caused by severe weather etc.). The collection teams will report all non-collections to their supervisor and a visit may be arranged with the householder to discuss the situation.

    The Council will not return to collect waste or recycling until the next scheduled collection day.

    Properties unsuitable for wheeled bins

    Some terraced or town centre properties are not suitable for wheeled bins, so we will provide 52 liners per year for non-recyclable refuse. Where appropriate these properties may be provided with a wheeled bin for storage purposes only.

    Chargeable compostable bags for garden waste are available on subscription.

    A maximum of 3 liners per property will be taken at each collection interval.

    [Back to top]

    Assisted collections

    If you cannot manage the standard issue waste containers or alternative containers, you can request an assisted collection service. Residents who qualify for an assisted collection will be provided with 52 liners a year for non-recyclable refuse (chargeable compostable bags for garden waste are available on subscription).

    A smaller basket style container with a handle is also available for recyclable materials, which residents may find easier to carry.

    A back door collection service will be provided to residents who require an assisted collection.

    Properties using liners may be provided with a wheeled bin (for non-recyclable waste) for storage purposes only, where appropriate. A maximum of 3 liners per property will be taken at each collection interval.

    Large families

    If there are 7 or more permanent occupants in your property and you experience capacity problems with additional non-recyclable waste you may, at the discretion of the Streetscene Manager and in liaison with officers, be issued with an additional 140 litre bin.

    Properties with 5 or more permanent occupants will be issued with a 240 litre (green) capacity wheeled bin for non-recyclable waste (instead of the standard 180 ltr (black) issue).

    If you think you are entitled to extra bin capacity, please complete an application form stating full names of all those permanently resident at the property. This excludes full-time students living away from home or family members who are non-permanent but may visit at weekends or holiday times.

    [Back to top]

    Multi occupancy or communal collections

    Multi occupancy/storey or residential homes will be considered for individual solutions, tailored to specific requirements. This could involve the provision of larger bulk containers at an agreed central collection point.

    Remote Properties

    If you live in a remote property, or along a private road, you will be required to bring your containers to the edge of the nearest adopted public highway. Liners will be issued where it is impractical to site bins. Where there are four or more properties, a kerbside collection at a designated point will be agreed on the understanding that the access road is suitable for collection vehicles.

    Mixed hereditaments (combined household and commercial)

    These properties will be supplied with standard household waste containers in the normal way, as detailed above. However, no commercial refuse should be placed into household waste containers. The owner or occupier should take out a separate trade waste agreement with RDC (or other properly licensed waste management company) for any commercial waste generated.

    [Back to top]

    Small properties with no storage

    A small number of flats or bed-sits (usually located in market towns) considered as having no adequate storage area for even small waste containers may receive different collection arrangements to the standard alternate week collection system, particularly when siting containers would cause a public nuisance or obstruction. Individual solutions will be tailored to specific requirements

    Medical waste

    If you have a family member who produces additional non-hazardous medical waste, due to a medical condition, you may be entitled to an additional 140 litre bin for non-recyclable waste. Please complete a short application form for this service.

    Arrangements can also be made for the collection and dispose of clinical waste bags by a specialist contractor. This service is usually requested by the local hospital or specialist nurse. Please contact us if you have any queries regarding this service.

    If prescribed by your GP, syringe needles should be returned in sharps containers to the prescribing doctor's practice for disposal.

    [Back to top]

    New properties

    Containers for newly built properties will normally be delivered within five working days of a request and supporting information on waste minimisation and recycling will be supplied.

    The cost of all containers supplied to new developments (5 or more properties) in the District will be recharged to the developer.

    Replacement containers

    Damaged containers will be replaced, or repaired free of charge if the damage was the result of mishandling by collection crews, manufacture or life expectancy.

    You may be charged for replacement or repairs for other damage and lost or stolen containers.

    Additional containers

    There is no option to purchase additional containers for recyclable or non-recyclable purposes. Please note that only containers that are issued by the Council will be emptied.

    Any additional wheeled bins for non-recyclable waste previously purchased by householders from RDC (or obtained from any other source) will not be emptied.

    [Back to top]

    Severe weather

    If collections have not been made due to severe weather, such as flooding or icy conditions, please leave your containers out and we will arrange for collection as soon as it is practical and safe to do so.

    However, in cases of prolonged severe weather, we may have to alter collection patterns for various materials. Please visit to this website for up to date information when there are disruptions to regular services for reasons outside our control.

    Public Holidays (including Christmas)

    Following Bank Holiday Mondays, kerbside waste collection services for all households run a day late.

    Over the Christmas holiday period, collection arrangements may vary from year to year. Details are on our Find your bin collection day webpage.

    [Back to top]

    Disposing of confidential waste

    Companies offering confidential document destruction services in Ryedale include:

    Always check with the company that they have a valid Environment Agency Waste Management License to handle this type of waste before entering into any agreement.

    Food waste

    We do not currently offer a separate food waste recycling service, but encourage you to reduce food waste where possible. For more details about food waste issues visit Love Food Hate Waste.

    A third of the food we buy in the UK ends up being thrown away, that's 6.7 million tonnes of food every year. And the most frustrating thing is that most of what we throw away could have been eaten.

    Wasted food is a waste of money and a major contributor to climate change. Most of this waste ends up in landfill sites where it rots and releases methane, a damaging greenhouse gas. The food we throw away is also a huge waste of the energy, water and packaging used in its production, transportation and storage.

    Love Food Hate Waste is a campaign from WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) that provides tasty leftover recipes, practical advice and top tips that helps us cut back on wasting food. Visit Love Food Hate Waste for more ways to love food and reduce our food waste.

    Waste Collection Commitment

    We will work closely with residents to ensure the environmental impacts of waste are minimised and costs are affordable to Council Tax payers. In 2010 we endorsed the Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP) Waste Collection Commitment to demonstrate the continued objective to provide a good waste and recycling service, which represents value for money and meets the needs of our residents. This means we will:

    • explain clearly what services you can expect to receive;
    • provide regular collections;
    • provide a reliable collection service;
    • consider any special requests that individual households may have;
    • design our services and carry out collections in a way that doesn't produce litter;
    • collect as many materials for recycling as we can and explain to you what happens to them;
    • explain clearly what our service rules are and the reasons for them;
    • tell you in good time if we have to make changes to your services, even temporarily;
    • respond to complaints we receive about our services; and
    • tell all our residents about this commitment to collecting waste.


    We work together with the York and North Yorkshire Waste Partnership (YNYWP), comprising North Yorkshire County Council, the City of York Council and the six other district councils of North Yorkshire. The YNYWP is committed to reducing, re-using and recycling as much waste as possible, as an alternative to landfill disposal.

    In the Waste Partnership's strategy, the following minimum targets for recycling or composting household waste have been agreed.

    40% by 2010      45% by 2013      50% by 2020

    These are broadly in line with national Government and wider European targets for the recycling or composting of household waste.

    Which day are my bins collected?

    We have an online calendar, where you can find your bin collection day, the dates of collection and details of what will be collected (refuse or recycling).

    There is the option to search by your postcode on our interactive map or by zooming in on the map to find your property. Clicking on your property will show your waste collection day and then follow the link to your Waste Collection Calendar. The calendar shows the materials collected each week and any changes to your collection day, such as after Bank Holidays.


  • Household waste containers

    Information on what types of equipment we supply for refuse and recycling collection and what goes in each container.

    Ryedale District Council operates alternate weekly collections of non-recyclable (rubbish that goes to a landfill site) and recyclable materials.

    Black or green wheelie bins

    • Please put non-recyclable waste in your black wheelie bin
    • A 180 litre black wheelie bin is provided as standard (all 240 litre green wheelie bins will be replaced by 180 litre black bins as part of rolling programme as the Council implements an enhanced kerbside recycling service to include plastic bottles and cardboard). Smaller 140 litre bins are available on request.
    • Properties unsuitable for wheelie bins or where residents require assistance (due to medical conditions, age etc) will be provided with 52 black liners per year for residual refuse. Properties on liners may be provided with a green wheelie bin for storage of the black liners containing non-recyclable waste.
    • We undertake random monitoring of waste collection services throughout the district. Occasionally we may come across a property where there are two standard 180 or 240 ltr. bins. In these circumstances, we will usually contact the occupier in writing, giving them notice that, except in exceptional circumstances, we will remove the second bin.

    Extra waste

    • Only waste contained in the black wheelie bin will be collected. Any extra bags will be either returned to the property or placed in the wheelie bin after it has been emptied.
    • Properties with seven or more permanent occupants who have capacity problems with non-recyclable waste may (at the discretion of the Streetscene Manager and subject to investigation) be issued with an additional 140 litre bin for non-recyclable waste. To apply, please complete an Additional Bin Request Form.
    • Residents who experience bin capacity problems, due to a member of the household producing non-hazardous medical waste will be issued with an additional 140 litre bin for residual refuse at the discretion of the Streetscene Manager.

    [Back to top]

    Brown bin resizedBrown wheelie bins

    • Provided to those properties subscribing to the garden waste subscription service.
    • A 240 litre brown wheelie bin is provided as standard. Smaller 140 litre bins are available on request.
    • Properties unsuitable for wheelie bins or where residents require assistance (due to medical conditions, age etc) will be provided with bio-degradable liners for garden waste.

    Green box resizedGreen box

    • Please put cans and plastic bottles in your green box.
    • If required, a lid or net is also available for the box. Please email Customer Support or telephone 01653 600666.

    Black boxBlack box

    • Please put glass bottles and jars in your black box.
    • If required, a lid or net is also available for the box. Please email Customer Support or telephone 01653 600666.

    blue bag resizedBlue bag

    • Please put cardboard, paper, magazines etc in your blue bag (no envelopes).
    • You may recycle newspapers, magazines, junk mail, catalogues, other white paper and telephone directories (inc. yellow pages).

    Damaged containers

    Damaged containers will be replaced free of charge if the damage was as a result of mishandling by collection crews, manufacture or life expectancy. Replacement or repairs for other damage may incur a charge of £28.

    To obtain a replacement, please complete our online form or telephone 01653 600666.

    [Back to top]

    Who owns the equipment?

    Containers remain the property of Ryedale District Council and must be left at the property when residents move. Residents moving into a previously occupied property should ensure that all containers have been left. Containers for new properties will normally be delivered within five working days. We will deliver information on waste minimisation and recycling to new properties.

    What day is my bin collected?

    We have an online calendar, where you can find your bin collection day, the dates of collection and details of what will be collected (refuse or recycling).

    There is the option to search by your postcode on our interactive map or by zooming in on the map to find your property. Clicking on your property will show your waste collection day and then follow the link to your Waste Collection Calendar. The calendar shows the materials collected each week and any changes to your collection day, such as after Bank Holidays.

    If you have queries or require any further information please email Streetscene or telephone 01653 600666.


  • Household waste disposal sites

    This page shows the location of Household Waste and Recycling Centres and what may be recycled at the sites. This service is provided by North Yorkshire County Council and more information is available on their website.

    Household Waste and Recycling Centres are closed each Wednesday and on 25 and 26 December and 1 January.

    Where are the sites?

    The sites are located as follows.

    • Corner of Pasture Lane/Showfield Lane, Malton.
    • Caulklands Quarry, Thornton le Dale.
    • Wombleton (just off A170).
    • Seamer Carr (near Morrisons supermarket in Scarborough Borough Council area but available for residents of Sherburn and Staxton areas).

    Map: use the zoom tool to focus in on the area you wish to view or double click within the map. Drag the map around with your mouse. Click on the icon to view available information.

    The opening times (from 1 April 2016) for all sites are:

    April to September 8.30 am - 5.00 pm

    October to March 8.30 am - 4.00 pm

    All the sites are open every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday apart from when those days fall on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

    [Back to top]

    What can be recycled at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs)?

    Newspapers Magazines  Mixed Textiles Clothes  Tyres 
     Cardboard Shoes  Furniture 
    plastic bottles logo 2  Mixed Glass Florescent Tubes 
    Foil Wood Timber  Batteries 
    Food Tins Drink Cans  Hardcore Rubble  Fridges Freezers 
    Scrap Metal Garden Waste  TV Monitors 

    Car Batteries  Gas Bottles 

    Used engine oil can be disposed of at the Malton and Thornton le Dale sites only.

    Asbestos may be disposed of at the Malton site. It must be bagged in two layers of plastic and securely sealed/taped. We advise you to contact the site before you take asbestos to ensure that there is enough space and there is someone there to assist you. Tel (01653) 699267.

    [Back to top]

    North Yorkshire County Council provides the civic amenity sites, known as Household Waste Recycling Centres, which may be used by  local residents (usually free of charge) and businesses (usually charged). The sites provide facilities for the collection and recycling of all household and garden waste, other than anything which may be considered as hazardous and requiring special treatment. They may also be known as the tip, dump, civic amenity site, household waste site.

    Residents are charged for the disposal of hardcore, rubble and plasterboard delivered to household waste recycling centres in North Yorkshire. Waste created from improvements, repairs and alterations to a home or domestic property is not household waste and there is no legal duty to accept it.

    Most of this type of waste is hardcore and rubble, including breeze blocks, bricks, ceramics (e.g. sinks and toilets), concrete, flag stones, gravel, hardcore, pottery, rubble, sand, slates, soil, stones, tarmac, tiles, window glass or plasterboard. The list of charges is available on the County Council's website.

    The restrictions on the amount of hardcore and rubble that can be brought onto site have been removed.

    Household waste and recyclable items are not affected and will not be charged.


  • Household waste enforcement

    The Council can specify the location and times at which household waste can be placed out for collection.

    All residents are asked to store their waste and recycling within the boundaries of their own property until collection day.

    Residents are only permitted to place their waste and recycling on the public highway for collection early on the morning of their collection day, or as late as possible on the evening before their collection day.

    The waste and recycling must not cause an obstruction. This will ensure that the public highway is kept clean and clear of obstructions and litter.

  • Recycling advice

     Hints and tips - what goes where

    All domestic properties in Ryedale's towns and villages receive kerbside recycling collections of;

    • Glass
    • Plastic bottles and cans
    • Paper and cardboard
    • From June 2014 collection of garden waste is an opt-in chargeable service


    It is important to put your recyclables in the correct container as the specially built recycling vehicles will only be able to accept them like this.

     Green box resized green box for plastic bottles and cans. Plastic Bottles
     Black box black box for glass. glass
     blue bag resized

    blue bag for paper and cardboard.

    If you prefer, you may continue to use your Blue Box to recycle your paper and cardboard together, instead of using the new larger bag. However, please note that only one container will be collected, not both. This is due to operational requirements and to minimise containers on footways, which may become very cluttered for pedestrians on collection days.

    paper and card
    Brown bin resized brown bin for garden waste only Garden waste logo

    [Back to top]

    Container Yes Please No Thanks
    Green box resized

    Any plastic bottles from the kitchen, utility or bathroom

    Drinks and food cans, biscuit tins and aerosols

    Yoghurt pots, plastic bags, polystyrene, clingfilm, food trays, pots, paint tins, cutlery, large metal items
    Black box

    All glass bottles

    All glass jars

    Window glass, crockery, ceramics, pyrex or vision ware.
    blue bag resized Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, catalogues, other white papers, telephone directories, cardboard boxes, food packaging, greeting cards, kitchen and loo roll tubes Envelopes, wallpaper, beverage cartons (tetra paks), polystyrene, plastic bags, clingfilm, and cardboard with food on it
    Brown bin resized Grass cuttings, windfalls, flowers and plants,hedge clippings, leaves and bark, weeds, turf, hay, straw (but nothing that may be contaminated with dog or cat waste), small branches and prunings  

    If you have any questions about your recycling service and these changes, please email Streetscene or telephone 01653 600666.

    [Back to top]

    What happens to all the recyclable materials we collect?

    The information below is available as a Factsheet to download.

    glass Glass goes to Ardagh Glass in Barnsley, South Yorkshire or Berrymans in South Kirkby W. Yorkshire. On arrival, if colours have not already been separated, it is optically sorted by high-tech machinery. Crushed glass (cullet) is melted down in furnaces and reformed to make new bottles and jars.
    paper and card Paper is taken to Palm's paper mill in King's Lynn, Norfolk. Paper is mixed with water, de-inked and pulped. It is then reformed to make new newsprint. The process is now highly automated, but similar to that of 2,000 years ago, where fibres soaked in water are drained on a fine wire screen and dried under pressure and heat.
    paper and card Cardboard is taken to D S Smith Plc, who operate a network of regional collection depots across the UK and have four mills: Kemsley (Sittingbourne, Kent); Hollins (Darwen, Lancs); Wansbrough (Watchet, Somerset); Higher Kings (Cullumpton, Devon). Cardboard is pulped and made into new corrugated board, or flat card, for new packaging.
    cans Cans are magnetically sorted to separate aluminium from steel. Aluminium cans are baled and sent to Novelis in Warrington, Cheshire, melted down and made into new cans. Steel cans are baled and sent to SIMS Metal Management, the world's largest metals recycler, melted down and made into new steel, for use in new cans, cars, white goods, building construction etc.
    Plastic Bottles Plastic bottles are separated into their different polymer types, using near infra-red technology. Polymer types are PET(E) (Polyethylene Terepthalate) and HDPE (High Density Polyethylene). Bottles are granulated, heated, then re–extruded with other virgin polymer (of the same chemical type) to make new plastic products.
    Foil words Aluminium foil is collected by the Council and various local charities. Foil goes into a furnace where it is melted down and the liquid metal poured into a mould, producing an ingot. When cold, the ingots are sent to foundries where they are melted again, and cast into products such as car engine blocks and cylinder heads.
    Garden waste logo Garden waste is taken to local farms where it is sorted for contamination, shredded and composted. It is mixed with other organic material and re-used on the farm.
    textiles Textiles are collected by the Salvation Army. Good quality clothing is resold in charity shops, with a proportion going to developing countries. Garments which are past their wearable life are shredded and made into flock, for use in furniture upholstering, mattress filling, carpet underlay etc. There are companies in West Yorkshire who are engaged in this process. 95% of donated clothing can be re-used somewhere, somehow, by someone.

    [Back to top]

    Top Tips for Plastic Bottle Recycling in Ryedale

    What types of plastic can I recycle?

    The Council only collects plastic bottles (not mixed plastics) for recycling. Plastic bottle tops can also be included for recycling. If it is a plastic bottle from the kitchen, utility or bathroom, we can recycle it!

    Why can I only recycle plastic bottles?

    There is a good market for used plastic bottles but a less developed market for mixed plastics in the UK. Most local authorities collect plastic bottles for recycling, but far fewer collect mixed rigid plastics. In future it may be possible to recycle mixed plastics when the industry gears up with additional capacity

    What can I do with my plastic if it is not a bottle?

    If you have plastics (other than bottles) that you want to recycle, a container (skip) at Thornton le Dale Household Waste Recycling Centre is available. This is the only facility for mixed plastics in Ryedale District. The Council realises that residents would like to recycle other products on kerbside collections but for the time being only plastic bottles will be accepted.

    What are there different types of plastic in my bin?

    Recycling plastic is not straightforward as different polymer types are used to make various products. Most plastic bottles are either Polyethylene Terepthalate (PET) or High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), so sorting is easy using near infra-red technology. Sorting of mixed plastics becomes more problematic as other polymers such as Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) Polypropylene (PP) and Polystyrene (PS) are in the mix.

    Recognising plastics by the polymer type, or number stamped on the side can be frustrating. Products sometimes have numbers as well as initials stamped on them: 1. PET; 2 HDPE, 3 PVC; 4 LDPE; 5 PP; 6 PS; 7 Other. This is confusing for most people, so the message is simple – only include plastic bottles for recycling.

    Plastics other than bottles should not be included for recycling in Ryedale, as there is a chance that industry will reject consignments if the polymer mix is in question. This would cause a loss of revenue to the Council.

    If you would like to know more about characteristics of different polymers and their use in household products please email Streetscene.

    Why do we need to recycle?

    Before recycling became popular in the 1990's, most of Ryedale's rubbish was sent to a landfill site (formerly a large stone quarry) in Thornton le Dale. This site lasted about 25 years and was closed in 2009.

    Another site is now being used but, like all landfills it will fill up quickly, so there is a real need to reduce our waste, as well as to recycle more of it.

    As well as being unsightly, messy and smelly, landfill sites emit methane (a potent greenhouse gas) and produce leachate (a liquid which gathers at the bottom of the landfill). Both of these are problematic and expensive to manage and treat.

    There will always be a need for some landfill capacity but the less reliant we are on this form of disposal, the more sustainable we will be in managing our waste.

    [Back to top]

    Hints and Tips

    The Recycle Now website is an excellent resource for news, information, hints and tips to help you recycle. There are sections for recycling in the garden, at work and at school. Visit the Recycle Now website for more information.

    To dispose of any excess or bulkier waste there are a number of Household Waste Recycling Centres (skip sites) in Ryedale, managed by North Yorkshire County Council. Please see North Yorkshire County Council's website for more information.

    Reduce, Reuse and Recycle

    Tips to help you reduce the amount of waste you produce.

    • Buy in bulk - reduce packaging by buying larger containers, concentrates and refills. This will also help you to save money!
    • Buy loose fruit and vegetables rather than over-packaged varieties and choose products packed in recyclable material
    • Buy products with less packaging
    • Home composting items such as fruit and vegetable peelings, grass cuttings and teabags turns waste into a reusable product and, during decomposition, reduces the volume of waste
    • Avoid food waste - about one third of the food we buy gets thrown away and most of this could have been eaten. To find useful tips on the storage of food, tantalising recipes and advice on portion sizes visit the Love Food Hate Waste website. This will also save you money.
    • Avoid plastic carrier bags - use cloth bags or a "bag-for-life" when you go shopping. Try to keep a few reusable shopping bags in your car, next to your door or in your handbag
    • Drink tap water rather than bottled water to reduce the number of plastic bottles
    • Unwanted mail - to reduce the amount of unwanted mail through your letterbox there are several things you can do; Register with the Mailing Preference Service to stop receiving unsolicited/addressed advertising mail like credit card applications.
    • Choose reusable items like cloth napkins, refillable pens and non-disposable razors
    • Opt for ceramic crockery with cloth napkins instead of paper or plastic alternatives
    • Use old glass jars to store small items such as nails and pins
    • Save any bubble wrap or padded envelopes and reuse when you next send a parcel
    • Cut up old Christmas cards to make gift tags for next year
    • Use dishcloths instead of disposable wipes
    • Buy rechargeable batteries and energy saving lightbulbs. Energy saving lightbulbs last up to 12 times longer
    • Use reusable nappies - 8 million disposable nappies are thrown away every day in the UK - see Let's Talk Less Rubbish.
    • Use reusable containers and lunch boxes instead of plastic or foil wrapping
    • When using paper use both sides of the page and buy recycled paper
    • Use the blank side of paper for notes and then recycle it
    • Recycle printer ink cartridges
    • Repair broken or damaged items when possible
    • Pass unwanted toys and clothes to neighbours, nurseries or charities
    • Buy recycled products e.g. paper, glass, tissues, toilet rolls and kitchen rolls

    [Back to top]

    Recycling electricals and batteries

    small appliances Large appliances Batteries recycle

    New laws mean that Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment, as well as batteries should no longer be put in together with non-recyclable waste for landfill.

    Household Waste Recycling Centres (skip sites) in Ryedale are geared up to accept batteries and all household electrical items. The site attendant can provide assistance to help you put them in the right container on site.

    There are five different categories of electrical equipment:

    • Cathode Ray Tubes (eg. tv's and computer monitors with large heavy backs to them)
    • Cooling devices – fridges and freezers
    • Fluorescent Tubes (incl small energy saving lamps)
    • White goods – washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and cookers
    • Small appliances such as mobile phones, toasters, kettles, hairdryers and battery operated appliances

    You can still have your large white electrical goods picked up from your home by the Council's bulky collection service and these items will then be recycled.

    Also, some major retailers offer their own in-store take back scheme. When you buy your new electrical appliance the old one will be collected free of charge. If this service exists the Council would encourage residents to use this service.

    There are a number of organisations offering take back schemes for some small electrical items (particularly mobile telephones and printer cartridges). A web-based search should show participating local businesses or voluntary organisations offering these type of services

    [Back to top]

    Give or Take Day Events

    Reuse logoInterested in setting up a waste exchange event?

    Community groups in Ryedale have already run successful Give or Take Day events in Kirkbymoorside, Thornton le Dale, Pickering and Malton. 'Give or Take' days are community waste exchange events, giving the chance for people to pass on unwanted household items, such as bric-a-brac or furniture, and for others to pick up something they really need. And it's all for FREE! KMS Environment Group

    give or take 0912Give or Take Days offer an exciting opportunity for people to have a clear out of household items cluttering up their home or garage, and provides others the chance to pick up items they need. Most people have something they would be happy to donate and there is usually no shortage of items.

    The events also offer those on low incomes, or tight household budgets, a chance to pick up household items they need. By exchanging goods we can all save a bit of money.

    It's fun for all the family and you never know, you might find something that you have always been looking for – for free!

    If you need more information about how to set up your own 'Give or Take 'day contact Streetscene or telephone (01653) 600666.


  • Recycling sites

    A map showing the location of Household Waste Recycling Centres and what may be recycled at each.

    Recycling Sites Map: use the zoom tool to focus in on the area you wish to view or double click within the map. Drag the map around with your mouse. Click on the icon to view available information.


    List of Recyclable Materials

    See below for the types of materials that may be recycling at these sites. Please click on the marker above for individual details.

    mixed glass image paper and card cans Plastic Bottles textiles books image Foil words cartons image oil image

    Recycling bank overflowing report form.

    Recycling centre comment / complaint form.

  • Refuse duty of care - enforcement

    The Duty of Care is set out in S34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and associated regulations. It applies to anyone who is the holder of waste, including local authorities, businesses and waste management companies.

    Persons concerned with waste must ensure that the waste is managed properly, recovered or disposed of safely, does not cause harm to human health or pollution of the environment and is only transferred to someone who is authorised to receive it. The duty applies to any person who produces, imports, carries, keeps, treats or disposes of controlled waste or as a broker has control of such waste.

    Household Duty of Care

    On 21 November 2005, the Waste (Household Waste) Duty of Care (England & Wales) Regulations 2005 introduced a new duty on householders. Under this duty, householders are required to take reasonable measures to ensure that household waste produced on their property is passed on to an authorised person.

    The regulations aimed to lead to better waste management and help to reduce illegal waste activity such as fly-tipping.

    Organisations or individuals can be fined if they are found to be in breach of their "Duty of Care".


  • Residential recycling collections

    An overview of our waste collection policy and information on alternate weekly collections.

    Where and when

    All waste containers should be at the kerbside outside your property by 6.00 am on the day of collection. If you are not sure of your collection day, please contact us for assistance.

    If you have difficulty moving your containers to the kerbside, please contact us to discuss alternative arrangements.

    Brown bins

    Your brown bin is for garden waste only. Any grass cuttings, hedge clippings, prunings, small branches, cut flowers, leaves and weeds are all suitable for composting. Please do not include any plastic or wastes from pet animals.

    This waste is composted by local farmers and used back on their land, so it is important that only materials suitable are included. Any contaminants have to be handpicked from the material by the farmer, which is hugely time consuming.

    Recyclable materials

    It would help if containers were rinsed before putting them in your recycling boxes ready for collection. To save space in your box, squash your cans and plastic bottles when possible.

    Damaged / lost bins, boxes or bags

    If any of your equipment is damaged or has gone missing, please contact Streetscene or telephone 01653 600666 to request a replacement.

    If your bin was damaged as a result of misuse eg hot ashes, a charge for a replacement may be made.

    Alternate Weekly Collections – what's it all about?

    This useful information has been produced by the Local Government Association (LGA).

    What are Alternate Weekly Collections (AWCs)?

    Under AWC's, recyclables are collected one week and non-recyclable waste the next week. Waste is still collected every week, so residents do not get a reduced service. Many now get additional services, with new wheelie bins and expanded recycling services.

    Why are councils changing to AWCs?

    It is estimated that by 2016 most landfill sites in England will be almost full, so there is now Government legislation regarding the disposal of waste to landfill. Councils will only be allowed to consign limited quantities of bio-degradable material to landfill, also as time goes on more materials are to be banned from landfill including tyres, liquid wastes, hazardous waste, electrical waste and bio-degradable waste (garden waste, paper, card, textiles etc.).

    Over a ten-year period Ryedale experienced a 50% increase in waste collected. These increases have meant more pressure on landfill. Due to costs and for environmental reasons, minimising waste sent to landfill and maximising recycling are now priorities for all councils.

    AWC's improve rates of recycling - most top performing councils for recycling use AWCs. This system is one way to encourage residents to recycle more. Recent figures show that the UK sends the most rubbish to landfill per person in Europe - this must change.

    How many councils have switched?

    Over a third of the 354 Waste Collection Authorities in England have switched to collecting recyclable waste one week and other waste the next.

    Do AWCs pose health problems for residents? Will hotter weather make the problems worse?

    The biggest independent research commissioned by the government (Wycombe Report) found no evidence that collecting recyclables one week and residual waste the next week will cause any health impacts for residents. The tests were carried out in both winter and summer months to give the full picture.

    It also found that health impacts are likely to be no greater than those associated with weekly collections. Common-sense measures, such as keeping waste tightly wrapped and bin lids closed can help deal with any potential problems.

    Do councils save money from AWCs?

    Currently each tonne of waste going to landfill in Ryedale costs about £22 per tonne. Added to that is a Government tax on each tonne landfilled. In 1996 this was £7 per tonne and by 2014 it will be £80 per tonne, making landfill over £100 per tonne. This money must be paid from your Council Tax and be passed on to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

    Anything that reduces waste sent to landfill will save Council Tax payers money. With Government forecasting the cost of dealing with waste to rise by 10% each year, councils have to do everything in their power to provide an even better deal for the taxpayer.

    But it isn't simply about saving money, it's about saving the environment. Waste sent to landfill contributes to climate change by emitting harmful methane gas.


  • Syringe disposal

    If you use needles or syringes to treat a medical condition, Sharps containers prescribed by your GP, should be returned to the prescribing doctor's practice for disposal.

    If you notice any needles, syringes or other drug related items discarded in your neighbourhood and which may pose a risk to public safety, please contact Streetscene or call 01653 600666 to get it collected.

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.
You are here: Home